Monday, February 7, 2011

Must Read: The Help


I finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett last night, and oh my goodness, is it a must-read! Seriously, you should all go out and get it tonight.

It is a beautifully written story about three women in Jackson, Mississippi during the Civil Rights Movement. Throughout the book, I was constantly reminded about the good, and not-so-good, of humanity and Southern hospitality. Since my family is from the South, I was shocked and saddened by parts of the story, but also so proud of the main characters and what they stood for. I am so grateful that we live in a time where the color of your skin doesn't define who you are, what you can do and where you can live.

P.S. - I also found out that Emma Stone is playing Skeeter in the film coming out the summer. I love her, and hope the film does the book justice!!! (and I really want her "HAHAHA" necklace, remember)

No comments: