Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Found Monogram Inspiration

It feels so good to be back blogging (just had to say that)!

As many of you know, I am an avid admirer of typography (pardon the alliteration there), especially when it deals with vintage and handmade lettering. My absolute favorite thing to both find as inspiration and to draw are monograms. Over the past few weeks I have been working on a few new monogram designs. When I work with a client on a custom monogram it is supremely important to me that I really get a feel for who they are and what they are looking for. Not only to I jump into my sketch book with very sharp pencils and giant erasers, I also scour the Internet looking for any historic monogram or vintage lettering that speaks to me. One of my current clients sent me a beautiful example from an old embroidery book as her starting inspiration. Eventually she wants to get her custom monogram embroidered into sheets, pillows, etc, which is so exciting for me because it means I am moving out of the paper only realm. While researching her monogram, I stumbled across these beautiful samples. Can we say inspiration overload!!! Hope you enjoy them as much as I do. They were truly inspiring for my first round sketches.


This monogram is stunning, and completely done by hand!


These are from an old book that a fellow blogger found. I am so jealous of it!

No comments: