Friday, June 3, 2011

Judging a Book by it's Cover: Vaclav & Lena


Last weekend while walking through  our neighborhood Barne's and Noble, escaping the torrential downpour in Chicago for a long city block, I was stopped dead in my tracks by the beautiful new book, Vaclav & Lena. I have a very bad habit of judging books by their covers, and this one is the best I have seen in a LONG time. The overall cool color palette is captivating with a modern edge. Even though the colors are beautiful they seem a bit dissonant. After reading the synopsis the minimal colors seem to be a visual clue to the interesting and sometimes sad plot. As much as I love the muted palette, the hand cut ampersand and type were the design elements that fully engage my attention. The type and flourishes bleed in and out of each other establishing the close bond between the main characters of the book. Not to mention, I am a huge fan of birds even if they are cliche right now. It is quite refreshing to find an illustrator stepping away from the digital world to create beautiful and unique designs. I did a quick Internet search to find the designer/illustrator but struck out. Does anyone know who designed this? They deserve MAJOR credit and I am sorry I cannot currently provide it.

Vaclav & Lena, by first time novelist Haley Tanner, has been reviewed quite favorably by the New York Times. As soon as I finish my huge stack of current books, I will definitely be read this one!

Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

Kathryn Joachim said...

I was also googling this and found out it's designed by Barbara M. Bachman. Sadly, I couldn't find anything else on this talented designer!

Lindsay Chenault Bolton said...

Thanks Kathryn! I appreciate your diligent googling on this. The designer deserves the credit.

Yakov Hadash said...

The international covers are pretty great, too:

http://rha.chookdigital.net/titles/9780099537724.jpg