Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Hand Lettering & Monograms

I have spent a big portion of my afternoon working on my new logo and identity (pictures to come once it is done – I promise). My new identity involves hand lettering, which, as those of you who design custom type know, takes a LOT of time. A lot of time drawing also means a lot of time to think. While drawing and thinking I realized that recently my blog hasn't shown many posts about my design...

Above is the original, hand-lettered monogram from our wedding. Typography and illustrating letters are MAJOR passions of mine, and I used my wedding as a platform to do what I love best. During the planning period, I was inspired by Victorian monograms and wood type. I wanted our logotype to feel fluid, fun and celebratory: something that would fit our Smoky Mountain, outdoor wedding. Our invitations were beautifully letterpressed by Rohner – I will post photos of them in the near future.

I absolutely love doing custom typography, especially monograms. It is one part of my design business that I truly adore! Plus, I am always looking for more excuses (babies, weddings, stationery, wall art) to do more hand lettering! I may be a little biased, but I think these make great gifts. Please email me if you are interested in learning more about a custom monograms (1-3 Letters). I would love to talk to you about your "monogrammed" vision.

No comments: