Monday, November 1, 2010

Feliz Dia de los Muertos!!!

(image via New York Times)

Really, is Halloween already over? Maybe it's because it was on a Sunday, but the holiday didn't capture one ounce of my attention this year. The only thing we managed to do was attend the annual Boystown Halloween parade. Once we got there I felt like a complete slacker – some of those costumes were so creative and inspirational. Other than that small glimmer of Halloween festivity things were quiet and Halloween quickly drifted away in the brisk Chicago fall.

However, today is Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead), a beautiful Mexican holiday that celebrates and remembers loved ones (and animals) who have passed. Artistically and culturally this is one of my favorite holidays of the year. There is so much beauty to be seen in the cultural celebrations, the sugary deserts and the abundance of brightly colored skulls.

I have been inspired by Mexico and Mexican culture since I was a little girl. Here are a few glimpses of Day of the Dead inspiration...


Niki de Saint Phalle is an amazing artist and feminist. Her sculptures engage the viewer asking them to become a part of the piece both inside and out. I was lucky enough to see her work a few years ago at the Atlanta Botanic Garden. The use of color, texture and reflective material make this piece stunning! (image via)


Mondo Guerra, from this seasons Project Runway, used Mexican inspiration beautifully in his final runway show. The detailing on this skull is breathtaking. I only wish he had won!!!

These are awesome vintage inspired toys from Etsy seller, illustratedink. Too bad they already sold. Thanks Modern Cat for the inspiration.

1 comment:

Carlotta said...

I wanted Mondo to win, too! Oh, Gretchen...

I love your blog!