Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Remembering a Master: Cy Twombly

 Untitled 1972

Camino Real (II), 2010

The Rose (II), 2008

One of my favorite artists, Cy Twombly,  passed away yesterday after a long battle with cancer. Since being introduced to Twombly's work as a freshman in college,  I have always been inspired by his energetic lines, purposeful colors, dominating scale and scribbly handwriting in his work. Today while looking at his online gallery and website, I was overcome with emotion. His work is striking on so many levels, especially when seen in person. I am so grateful that the Art Institute of Chicago had a Twombly exhibit last year that featured some of his most current works. He truly is a master of line and movement. Twombly will never be replaced and his work has forever changed the art world. I am grateful for him as an artist, and the freedom and inspiration found within his brushstrokes. 

Above are a couple of my favorites from his online gallery. All images copyright the artist.

No comments: