Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Chicago Family Fun & Going Back Soda Shop Style

The Fam in front of Lincoln Park Zoo
This past weekend was a whirlwind of incredible sight-seeing, showing off Chicago and quality family time with my brothers. There were six of us, plus the two cats, staying in our 1.5 bedroom apartment so we were quite cozy for the full three days. Thank goodness the weather was beautiful for the most part and we were able to enjoy the outdoors. My youngest brother and his girlfriend had never been to the Windy City so we crammed in about as much as you can in 3 days of Chicago. We saw the Cubs play, walked by the Bean and Millennium Park, went to Second City, walked Michigan Ave, visited the animals at Lincoln Park Zoo and ate a LOT (Chicago Dog, Deep Dish Pizza, Tapas, Molly's Cupcakes, etc). It was a seriously fun weekend and I can't wait to do it again next year.

David and me at Wrigley. David has always wanted to see the Cubs play at home.

Everyone left yesterday morning, but the fun continued. Some of ouur friends are moving back to Atlanta next week so we met them for a final Chicago dinner last night. Dinner was great, but dessert was inspirational. We went to Margie's Candy, a Chicago legend that I hadn't heard of. As soon as you walk in the door you step back in time about 40-50 years to the time when soda shops were the thing to do. The wood paneling, mirrored chandeliers, and gold foil made it a kitchy heaven. Plus the food was yummy! My ice cream sundae was the largest two scoops of ice cream I have ever seen, and I got my own hot fudge on the side. AMAZING!!! This has almost instantly become a favorite place of mine in Chicago.

Amazing, right?


The personal jukebox was so fun, but I couldn't get it to work.

The beautiful neon sign may be my favorite part of the whole place. The script font is too perfect for words.

Supposedly the Beatles loved Margie's. This is a case with historic memorabilia.
 It is really hard to get back to work, not to mention a healthy diet, after such a fun few days.

No comments: