Monday, December 13, 2010

Color Inspiration: The Walk to Target

I am constantly amazed by how inspiring routine (and often mundane) everyday life can be when I actually take a moment to stop and look closely and critically at my surroundings.

Yesterday, I decided to walk to our neighborhood Target at dusk during the first real snowstorm of the season. I really don't know why I thought this mile walk was a good idea when the weather was so bad, other than I had a case of cabin fever (which tends to happen very frequently to me during the winter).

As I set out on my trek (which is exactly what it ended up being after I bought a 20lb. bag of kitty litter that I walked home with), I noticed that the sun was starting to set and the coloration on the snow was breathtaking. So, as any normal, creative person would do in a snowstorm, I took off my gloves and started taking photos with my iPhone. (I really hope I get smart phone gloves for Christmas so I can leave the gloves on next time). A couple of the photos turned out really well and inspired the two winter color palettes below.


This photo was taken on the long, windy stretch leading up to Target. It was so quiet and serene as opposed to its normally busy and chaotic state. The inspired colors are supposed to feel cold and muted with a hint of warmth from the lights above. I really dislike winter color palettes that are drab and focus on gray and blues. The warm colors of winter are the best part!



The second photo was taken at the local tree stand. Oh, how I love this time of year. Through this color palette I wanted to show the festive side of the holidays with the lightness of snow. The pink and blue are so unexpected and add a necessary bit of flare.

Hope you enjoy and don't forget to "stop and smell the roses". You never know when you will be inspired!

No comments: